Tuesday, June 25, 2013

MY PET STORY-SONNIG AND I (PART 1-ADOPTING PONGO)

It has been a year plus now since I adopted Sonnig from SPCA and I can't imagine life without him today. I believe things happen for a reason, and the day I found Sonnig was truly by design. Why is it by design? By who's design? We might never know, but this is how it all began...

On my 20th birthday in the year 2011, I got on a plane in Cologne, Germany and started my journey home back to Malaysia. After 6 months of industrial training in a Michelin Star restaurant in a little village called Trittenheim, I failed to get a job offer to go back to Germany and work for them. Maybe it was meant to be this way, but there is never a day I wish I wasn't back there.

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland...

Once I step foot on Malaysia, I automatically graduated from college with my Diploma in Professional Chef Training. I wanted to take a few months of rest and plan properly on what I should do now, where I should work, where should I vacation in, and what other things I wanted to accomplish before going back to work. However, my mum had other plans for me. With a help of a relative, I got a job in Hard Rock Hotel Penang, a month after Germany.

2 months and a half in, my colleagues asked me out on an outing one night after work. I overheard them talking bout visiting the local SPCA and I took that opportunity to ask if I could tag along. They agreed and the next morning we went.


It was my first time visiting an animal shelter and it was an overwhelming experience. 3 dogs caught my attention that day and I couldn't stop thinking bout them after that visit. First one was Spiro, the silent mysterious one with the wild coloring. Second was Pongo, the boisterous pup that looked as if he had some pit bull gene in it. Third was Ace, a police looking dog that was curious and careful.


The way I see it, Spiro was Sherlock Holmes, Ace was the Police Officer, and Pongo was the Mafia Boss. To adopt all three dogs would have been amazing, but I know my limits.


Work wasn't faring well for me during my third month there, so I decided not to sign a new contract and left my job immediately once my contract period ended. Best decision I ever made I guess, for I got to choose one dog to adopt from SPCA, and bring it home with me to Taiping.

Deciding between the three dogs was difficult. All three were completely different from each other and equally handsome. All three had problems and all three had wonderful characteristics.

From my observation, Ace had a lot of nervous energy, but he was more of a follower than a dominant figure which was really good. Spiro had a calm energy and I really love that about him, but he tends to be more independent and don't interact much with humans. Pongo in the other hand, had explosive energy, for he was the excited and active kind. Other than that, he also had a nipping problem. However, he is just full of love and really interactive with people.

Obviously Ace and Spiro was the obvious choices, but that also meant their chances of being adopted are higher. It was really hard, even thinking about it today is difficult. I almost adopted Spiro, but I think I had to drop him first too. He was the easiest dog to take care of, and I know he would be perfect in any home.


Curious Spiro Holmes studying me... If u are wondering who is that in the background, he is a SPCA volunteer from Sweden, named Ron.
It came down to Ace and Pongo, but I dropped Ace because I was looking for a guard dog. He may look the part, but his nervous energy did not win him that job. Besides, nervous energy is harder to rehabilitate compared to excitement.

I felt Pongo needed me more and I had a strong feeling about it cause somehow, I needed him too. On the 15th of February 2012, which also happens to be my father's birthday, I adopted Pongo and renamed him Sonnig. It's German for sunny, not only to symbolize our new beginning to be a bright and sunny one, but it's also because Sonnig happens to be the light of my life. 

My last walk to work in Germany on a Sunny day...

Thank you so much for reading part 1. I really appreciate it! For part 2, just click here: Part 2

Happy days!

14 comments:

  1. Hey there! This is my first time passing here! It is so nice to meet you!

    Sonnig is just a beautiful name, so one of the kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by. It's nice to meet you too. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy woooos mate! Hope to read more about you & Sonnig,

    RA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy woooos to you too... XD

      Thanks for dropping by. More stories of Sonnig and I to come.

      Happy Days!

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie, I saw your interview over on Pet Blogs United. It's nice to read about you and Sonnig. I hope to read more of your blog as time goes by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by... I'll definitely visit your page too. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the world of bloging,we hope you realize your dreams,xx Speedy and mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for visiting. Really appreciate it and Speedy is REALLY CUTE!!! Gosh I miss my late rabbit so much. Speedy is an English rabbit right?

      Delete
  5. Passin by to wish you a Happy 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I dropped by to welcome you to the bloggy world.

    I am glad you were able to choose the right dog for you. I am sure Pongo loved the Sonnig name very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks so much for dropping by and welcoming me. I really appreciate it and u r right bout Pongo loving his name. He is a happy dog. :)

      Happy Days!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your new blog. I know exactly what you feel when you say your dog came to you 'by design'. I feel the same way about my cat. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Gosh, thanks so much for dropping by. I visited your blog a few times and I think what you do is awesome! Keep on snapping those pics of cats from all over the world!

      Happy days!

      Delete
  8. It is so nice to meet you!, Sonnig such a lovely name. i like him so much .

    ReplyDelete